When you donate your health blood plasma, you provide children and adults who need plasma protein therapies a chance at a normal life. It's important that every time you donate you feel healthy and well, which can sometimes be challenging when you want to donate often. Everyday stress can take it's toll on our bodies and may lead you to practice unhealthy habits that may increase your blood pressure.
Healthy Blood Pressure
High blood pressure and pulse are hazardous to your overall health and may result in a deferral when you come in to donate at B Positive Plasma. Your health and donations are important to us, so B Positive Insider wants to share some tips on how to avoid high blood pressure and pulse readings so you can go on to have successful donations!
How to Maintain Healthy Blood Pressure
If you feel you are at risk for high blood pressure or have had a high reading at the center and want to lower your levels, there are several steps to take to maintain normal blood pressure levels, such as:
- Eating a healthy diet, particularly reducing saturated fat consumption
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Avoiding alcohol in excess
- Quitting smoking
Additionally, both alcoholic beverages and smoking dehydrate you and thin your blood, making it difficult to clot after donating, so it's a good idea for a couple reasons to limit them!
Methods of Relaxation
- Sometimes, we forget to breathe! Practicing three calm, 5-second deep breaths every hour or a few times throughout the day proves relaxing and puts your mind at ease. Inhale for 5 seconds, then exhale for 3 seconds.You'd be amazed by how it reduces stress!
- 4-7-8: this technique is called "one minute breathing" because you practice it over the course of 1 minute. Inhale for 4 seconds, hold your breath for 7 seconds, then exhale slowly for 8 seconds.
- Stretching benefits you as well when you are experiencing anxiety. The upwards and outwards movement of your limbs send signals to your brain to relax. It also improves elasticity and mobility, which eases your muscles and relaxes your body.
- One quick stretch you can even do while you're waiting to donate is to stand and stretch you whole body upward, then stretch your spine to the left, then to the right. A small investment in that stretch will provide you with a clearer mind and relaxed body.
Get lucky in March with B Positive Plasma's 7th anniversary promotions! There's 3 bonus weeks, a $100 loyalty reward when you complete your 7th donation, and you can earn $35 for EVERY FIRST-TIME DONOR YOU REFER when they include your full name when they sign up online! There is no limit to how many friends you can refer, but hurry because this amount is a LIMITED-TIME OFFER that expires 3/31!