Your health and nutrition are critical to a successful plasma donation. Adequate sleep, hydration, and a healthy diet are all important to keep you feeling well, your plasma yellow and acceptable for collection, and money in your pocket! That is why your friendly B Positive Insider has compiled a list of tips to follow to remain healthy and successfully donate plasma.
- Drink a lot of water and fluids the day before and the day of your plasma donation. Sixty-four ounces, or if you’re an athlete, half your body weight (i.e. 180 lbs = 90 oz. of water) should do the trick;
- Eat a healthy meal within 2 hours of your visit, and try to avoid fatty or fried foods and too much dairy the day before;
- Do not smoke 2 hours prior to donating;
- Abstain from alcohol and caffeine the day of your appointment;
- Avoid strenuous activity an hour before your visit; and
- Get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep the night before.
After donating (and tips to remain a successful repeat donor):
- Drink plenty of water and drinks that replace lost electrolytes, such as coconut water, Gatorade, and Powerade;
- Eat a healthy meal within 2 hours after your donation;
- Abstain from smoking 2 hours after you donate; and
- Avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercise for the rest of the day
Remember, it is important to always remain hydrated and eat a healthy diet, particularly if you are a frequent donor, to keep your protein and iron levels elevated!